Thursday, August 23, 2007

When Friendships heal....


I can't not respond to Andrea's blog about our meeting last night at Nordstroms.

Yes, we did have an ordained meeting last night at the Estee Lauder counter at Nordstrom's. I had a couple of hours to myself last night. Bry met me at the Nail salon, took the kiddos home and I got a much needed pedicure. I love Elaine at Nailine. She's the best ever. Anyway, my original plan was to make a return at Party America and then go to Target. But as I left Party America, I thought, I really need to return some shoes at Nordstroms while I don't have the kids. And while returning the shoes, I thought, I should go look at some eye shadows because I don't know how to pick them out by myself. I need help. And to top it off, I had NO intention of going to the Estee Lauder counter. I didn't even own one piece of that makeup till last night! ;-) So, do I believe we met by mistake last night? No, I don't.
Have you ever shut down Nordstrom's? It was quite the experience. I was hoping they would pull out the wine or something and treat us like VIPs, but we aren't Jen Aniston and Courtney Cox. However, they were really sweet to us. Gina at the Estee counter was amazing. She was soooo sweet. We love her.

As we were leaving Nordstrom's, the lights were shutting off. I am sure that through the smiles, the workers were glad to see us go.

But the real conversation came in the parking lot. I believe we stood there another hour till my husband called and wondered if I was ok.

Our friendship definitely went through a major transition over the past couple of years. We had an initial dinner the other week and then we were on our bi-annual Scrapbooking retreat together. But conversation in the Nordstrom's parking lot was the most healing of all.

Feelings were shared; hearts were shared. Honesty was had; friendship was rekindled.

I am truly thankful for the times that God gives us to heal our hearts and to remember that it's all about Him and His work and what He wants to do in our lives and not about us. At times, when friendships hurt or disappoint, we make it all about us and how we feel instead of thinking about how God may be using this time in our lives to grow us spiritually and to develop new character in us.

If friendships were always easy, where would the depth be? If we never went through the hard times, what would we cherish? If we didn't have to work at love, would we really know how to love our friends? Don't be so quick to give up on friendships. If they really mean something to you, fight for it. Love hard and love deep. Trust God with the rest.

Andrea, I am thankful that we both needed makeup the same night at the same moment. I am thankful that we had our conversation. I have always loved you and always will. Yes, I was there at the beginning of your Christian walk, but you challenged me in so many ways those initial years of our friendship. Your new zeal for the Lord was so refreshing. I have loved watching you grow and have loved watching your spiritual walk. I have also loved how God has worked on me through your testimony and through your life...even if you haven't even realized it. Our God is good. To Him, we must give all credit.

1 comment:

Andrea "The H family" said...

Oh honey,....I love you. I am so thankful for you and your willing and Christ driven heart.
What a pleasure it has been 'to be real' with you.
I'm in awe and yes...He's soo good girl!! SO GOOD! Thanks for walking with me in the clouds, mud and at some points..PIT. God only knows what He's doing when He picks our friends. Love you sweetie,A