Friday, August 17, 2007

I wanna play soccer....



I just had to put this picture of Cole out here. He has been begging to play soccer for months now. We began by telling him that he couldn't play soccer if he was in diapers. Worked like a charm. Then we had to explain that he had to turn 3 before they would let him play. Well, he turns 3 in a few short weeks. Let me tell you the excitement that he has right now. Every single day, he talks about soccer and how he's going to kick the ball and make a goal. He can't wait!!


The other day, we went and bought both of the boys soccer shoes. We had to go to a couple of stores to find shoes for Cole. Every store we walked into, he said: "Mommy, will they have my shoes here?" We finally found a store that had his size and he was thrilled. So, along with his shoes, we bought him shin guards and soccer shorts. He couldn't wait to show his Daddy!


The next morning when he saw his Daddy, he ran into the bedroom with his box of shoes. He was screaming with delight over the soccer gear. He then asked Daddy to put them on him. Daddy put his guards on, his shorts, and then his shoes. He didn't have his socks with him, but the shoes would be just fine without them for now.


He ran around the house with his gear for the next couple of hours, kicking the soccer ball up and down the hall. Finally, he came to me and said: "Mommy, my shoe hurts!" I thought oh great...we're going to have to go back to the store. However, as I took them off of his feet and looked in them, I noticed that Daddy had left the stuffed paper in the toe of the shoe. Poor little guy, he was so wanting to wear his shoes, that he allowed his foot to be cramped in there for the sake of playing soccer!


As we were leaving that morning, he begged me to wear his soccer shoes out. We came to an agreement that he couldn't wear his shoes, but he could wear his shorts and a soccer shirt. He was more than thrilled with that!


Wouldn't it be great if we were all this very excited to walk out of our house every day wearing Christ? Shouldn't we all have this zeal and passion for him that my sweet son has for soccer...a game in which he hasn't even fully played just yet? Not to mention, he was willing to wear his gear (his armor) even though it wasn't fully comfortable for him. How often do we complain about our circumstances instead of looking at them as a spiritual growth opportunity?


Do we allow our discomfort in life to prohibit us from shining our fullest for Christ?


The lessons that we can learn from our little ones.

2 comments:

Jeffie said...

Bloggerific!!! I mean when did you turn a new leaf in the blogging world?? I'm so proud . . . perhaps even a bit motivated to keep up better in my blogs. I LOVE the pics of your sweet boys and think they are both precious!!!

Andrea "The H family" said...

Too darn cute! I can't wait to see video footage of him playing!!