Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The BIG Day....





Well, yesterday was Reid's BIG first day in Kindergarten! Many of you know that I have somewhat dreaded this day and have been terribly emotional about the whole thing. I would tear up at the very thought of him entering Kindergarten.

It's not that I'm sad that he's going. I'm actually very excited about this phase in his life. I just sit back and look at him and try to figure out how in the world he got old enough to even be in school! Where did the time go? If you have little ones at home, please cherish every moment with them...even the hard ones...they too quickly pass and are forever gone.

We have now entered this whole new phase in life for Reid. We have entered the phase where I wonder have I done enough in teaching him right from wrong, instilling Christ deep in his heart, preparing him for what lies ahead? I know that I will still be doing this over the next 13 years of school, but from here on out, his school, his friends may very well have a greater influence over him than us....considering he will spend more time at school than home.

I am very excited to see how God is going to mold Reid this year at school and in the years to come. My biggest prayer is that Reid will develop a heart that deeply loves the Lord in all he says and does. And what accountability this is for me since I know that his first view of what this looks like will come from me and Bry. No pressure, right?

Anyway...the boys were super excited the night before school. We talked about school, choices, etc and what to expect. We prayed and sprinkled glitter on their heads before bed (a treat that Cole's teacher gave me at Meet the Teacher). They couldn't wait. Side note...Cole is going to school this year 2 days a week. He feels all grown up now!

Here was Reid's prayer on Monday night:
Dear God,
Thank you for Mommy, Daddy, Reid, Cole-Cole, and Ella.
Please help me to have good dreams and not bad dreams.
Thank you for school tomorrow and help me to have fun.
Help Cole not to cry when we take him.
Please help me to be sweeter to Mommy and not hurt her heart.
Please help me to get along with Cole-Cole.
In Jesus Name...Amen!

How do you not love a prayer like that? Seriously, the tears are forming in my eyes as I type this. He has really been working on his little heart!

Back to the subject at hand...Tues, we woke up and there was definite excitement in the air! We made a special breakfast, got dressed in our new school clothes and shoes and of course took some pictures (after all, their mommy is a photographer!), and headed out the door (but not before Mom found a few minutes to pray over her children).

When we arrived at school, the boys jumped out, grabbed their backpacks and put them on. When we arrived to Reid's room, I didn't even get the chance to hug him, when he ran straight to class. My heart tugged a little as I now know how my mom felt that first day she dropped me off. I ran off and didn't look back. My poor mom...so sorry about that!

Then we took Cole to his class. A little nervous, I admit...he tends to cry pretty much every time we leave him. HOWEVER, he had a BIG grin on his face, gave us big hugs and sugars and marched right on in the room! Oh thank you LORD!

And what about mom? Well, I survived! I got a little teary eyed, but no flood of tears. I think I got it all out over the summer!

So, here we are, in a brand new chapter in life. It will be exciting! I love you Reid and Cole!

1 comment:

Pilates Works 4 Life said...

Good times. Blessed Times for sure. Yours is off to Kindergarten, my youngest off to college 1000 miles away. Did I cry? No. Not yet. Well, only a little when I saw little Miss Rose bawling her eyes out in Stephen's arms.

Am I weird? Don't answer that! I'm just different. I feel; I'm not flat-lined! I just have this calming Force in my spirit that children are priceless gifts given for a SHORT time. We are blessed with trying to do right by them in the Lord. Train them. Then before we know it they are 1000 miles away. But only a breath away from God, where they belong. Not to be in our care anymore, at least not like they once were.

This is the process of life in God's Plan...to grow them up to know how to leave us and have Godly families themselves. And stay out of their business!!!!! Awesome.