Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Do we love Santa?



I had a friend send me an email of pictures of all the kids sitting in Santa's lap that just LOVED being there....NOT! We should add this to that list. Poor Ella was petrified. Not just crying...SCREAMING. Shaking! I mean, am I a mean mom or what? But seriously, isn't this picture cute???

You know, I sometimes wonder why we force our kids to sit in Santa's lap when they are so scared. I have always struggled with the whole Santa thing actually. I had an elementary teacher convince me that Santa was from Satan. You know...mix the letters around and look what you get. But you know the story of St Nick is a sweet story. And you know, Reid and Cole are convinced that Santa is real and that he's coming down our chimney. They believe this because a friend of mine...well, her husband actually. He told Reid this really long story about Santa coming down the chimney and leaving toys and gifts for him and his siblings. Reid is such a believer that we have to move our fireplace screen the night before Christmas so that Santa doesn't get trapped! I've even tried to convince him that Santa isn't real. He doesn't believe me! Oh well.

Of course one day he'll find out the truth, but for now, there is such an innocence in believing in Santa. For Reid and Cole, it's magical in some way. Maybe we are wrong as parents, but we tend to think it's sweet. Oh, we still take our boys shopping every year and they pick out toys to give to other children that may not have Christmas at all. Reid was so sweet this year. He picked out several toys that he wanted to have for himself. He kept telling me that the kids would love to play with this or that.

And our boys know that we celebrate Christmas for Christ's birth. We give gifts to show how much we love others. We talk about this all the time. We are careful that our children don't lose the meaning of Christmas...the real meaning.

Anyway, I just thought that I would share this picture. I think it's so funny and I love it. I am sure that Ella won't remember and I'm sure that she will forgive me!!!

6 comments:

Kim Nielsen said...

You did not try to convice him Santa isn't real??? Girl what are we going to do with you. I swear Matthew still believes in Santa.

Kim Nielsen said...

replace convice with convince... lol

Shane, Steph, Adeline, Adam said...

Ok, so I can't do that Adam oh yeah nor Adeline. I remember!!!! :) Adeline is probably still scared because I won't force her to sit on his lap. Fun traditions.

Andrea "The H family" said...

Priceless! I begged Jon to let me do that this year and once again...a no. Jon was like..do you know how many germy kids get on that man's lap not to mention the outfit probably not being washed EVER !LOL!
I love this picture!

Krista Kay said...

Justin & Ashley no longer believe in Santa either. We told them they couldn't ruin it for Abby. In 1st grade, the kids had a big discussion about it. Needless to say, some already knew the truth. Justin was heartbroken when we told him Santa wasn't real. He cried! So now, we just say we pretend.

The Causey's said...

I am laughing so hard at this pic, a true classic!