Thursday, October 18, 2007

Meeting with editors and agents

My, oh my, what a whirlwind of a day full of information that my brain is still trying to process. I can't even describe to you in words the feelings that I have right now.

Let me just begin with telling you that I didn't sleep all that well last night. I honestly have a hard time sleeping when I'm not with my hubby. However, it didn't help that the alarm went off at 1am. Apparently, I don't know how to set the alarm. That was a fun little treat for me.

I woke up this morning feeling a bit refreshed. I missed breakfast as I chose a little more sleep and honestly, wanted to spend some time in prayer before my busy day began. It's rare for a mom of 3 to get total silence. I have that here. I mean folks...there isn't even a TV in my room. I also don't have a microwave anywhere in my building, which is a bummer since I brought popcorn and have had this craving for it. I am sure that I am craving it since I can't have it.

Being here feels a little like isolation...but in a good way. It's so quiet right now as I type this. There is just no noise. I am sitting in this room that is surrounded by mountain views from the window. All I can think of is God's creation. It's peaceful and quite surreal. It's a spiritual retreat that I needed. Though the food is well, camp food, the fellowship with God is ever so sweet. You gaze upon the mountains and just wonder what it will be like to be in heaven with our Lord and Savior.

The conference begins every day with Panel discussions, devotions, and then you hit the hard classes and workshops. My comprehensive class that I am taking is on Non-fiction (I know, that's a given) and the instructor is John Van Diest with Tyndale publishing. I can't tell you what an honor it is to be in his class as he has published many of Swindoll's book as well as Howard Hendricks and Bruce Wilkerson. He has been with Tyndale for 35 yrs. He has such a wealth of knowledge to impart to us all.

I had 3 meetings today with editors that turned into 4. While we are here, we have the opportunity to meet with various editors/publishers of our choosing to pitch our book proposal or our ideas or simply to ask questions. Each meeting is only 15 minutes. Do you know just how nerve racking that is to know that you have to "sell" your idea/platform/passion in 15 minutes to a complete stranger who has heard it all??? Well, let me tell you, it's heart racing. Let me give you the run down on the meetings:

My first meeting was with a editor/publisher that focuses directly on Bible studies. I thought that would be a good person for me to talk too. I sat down and with great confidence started my spill on why my Romans study needed to be out on the market. He listened intently and then pulled out a flyer that shows the Bible studies that they have published and the format. It falls in line with what I am doing. However, they just published a verse by verse study on Romans. At first my heart fell as I thought: "How have I never seen this study?" He took my manuscript (which in this situation is just the first 15 pages of your book that is double spaced) out of my hands and said: "Let me see what you have." The next 60 seconds seemed like an hour. There was silence as he looked through and was reading my work. My heart was honestly pounding. He then said: "I really like your style. I think you would be a great fit to write in our series. Send me your ideas next week." I honestly about fell over. He would not be intersted in the Romans study obviously, but he is looking for other studies written like my Romans study on other books of the Bible.

Now, before you all get excited...this means NOTHING to this point, other than the fact that I was so encouraged that a real publisher liked my work. I have to submit to him books of the Bible I would like to write about and IF it fits in what they are needing, at that point, I can work on a proposal for him. However, this does mean that I am establishing a relationship and starting to get my foot in the door.

I immediately called my best friend and number one fan, my husband! Honestly, I was overwhelmed with emotion. He asked me if I was crying. I was able to hold it in till he said that. I think he shed a tear too. This was a great way to start off the conference. Again, remember I am still a LONG way off from a dream, but yet a step closer.

My next meeting was with an agent. He is the son of John Van Diest, so I was excited to meet with him. He was a super nice guy, but told me that he didn't feel that a Bible study would go anywhere. Unless you are Beth Moore or Kay Arthur, it's difficult to do. I replied: "Yes, I agree; however, Beth Moore and Kay Arthur weren't always 'Beth Moore' and 'Kay Arthur'!" He agreed. So, he continued asking me questions about my platform and my passion. After our discussion, he told me that I needed to write a book. He said that there's a book in you and you need to get it out. My 15 minute meeting with him went 30. As we discussed the type of book I should write, he said, you know what? We need to get you in front of my dad!! He was saying this as we were walking out of the conference hall to the dining hall. And about that time, John walked up and the 3 of us walked to the dining hall together. Our conversations are too detailed to go into right now, but know that they were encouraging. The main thought process, a book would give me a name and let people know who I am. That would potentially entice them to buy a Bible study from me. I was also told that the Bible study is the easy route...the book is the harder road. You have to dig deeper into your soul to write. You have to write about what made you cry, what made you hurt, what put you at rock bottom and then what restored you.

My 4th meeting was with another editor with a different publishing company. She took a manuscript of mine and asked me to fill out a writer's form for her this week while we are here so that she can have me on file. But she is wanting me to submit to her next week a writing on Ruth. This would not be for a Bible study, but for a book that she is working on. I would not be the only author. That's all the detail I can go into online for now.

So, what have I learned today? That I have no idea where God is taking me. I have been presented with 3 potential opportunities...3 very different opportunities. I have to say that I am overwhelmed and amazed at God's grace for me right here, right now. I can only imagine what my meetings tomorrow and Saturday will hold for me. Saturday, I will have a meeting with the editor that is critiquing my Romans proposal...remember the query letter I was working on last week? I'm excited to meet with her because I know that she will have it marked up, but I will gain such great insight on how to improve as a writer.

I am totally exhausted right now and my brain is so tired. I ask that you pray for me to have supernatural energy tomorrow, that my brain is clear, and that the Holy Spirit reveals Himself to me in an intense way.

I will continue to update you on my trip. Thanks for wanting to know, for loving me, and for praying for me. It has truly meant the world to me.

1 comment:

Andrea "The H family" said...

This has been so fun to read and knuckle binding to read!! Oh my girl. Sounds like amazing opportunities and I'm just jazzed about the book idea. So excited.
Praying for you!