Friday, October 19, 2007

Information overload...

I have to be honest, I'm not sure that my brain can process another day's worth of information. I am in definite information overload! This conference has been so enlightening and so encouraging. I have no idea where God will take me in all of this, but I know He has a plan. I must say though, this inner passion is really coming out in me. If writing is something that I truly pursue, it will be a long, tough road. I do believe it will be rewarding all in the same breath.

This day was filled with more meetings, more classes and more workshops. Today, I met with a critique editor who said that she has quit doing Bible studies because she is tired of them telling her what to think. She told me that she would love to read my study. She would be a contact that would critique my work before ever going to an editor. She is also a writing coach.

I met with another agent today and he said that he loved my idea of what an in-depth study should look like. He is really good friends with Kay Arthur, so he was 100% on board with my pitch. The problem is he has 2 other clients that are doing studies and he doesn't want to create a conflict of interest. With that being said, he told me to send him my full manuscript. Let me give you a bit of an insight to the publishing world...they NEVER ask for the full manuscript. They normally only want the first 15 pages (or 3 chapters if it's a book) to review initially. It's really out of character for one to ask for the full manuscript. But, I thought that was cool.

In an ideal world, an author's best route would be to have a good agent. They have the contacts in the industry. They would know what publisher would work best with your writing. They take care of all of the legalities that come with writing for a publisher. Not to mention a lot of them help you write your query letter to the publisher.

I then had the privilege of having dinner with the Tyndale publisher and his son who's the agent. I spent about 2 hours with them tonight. It was good relationship building time. We told jokes, they gave me a hard time that they are the only ones that think I should write a book. The agent's wife was here today. She's great. She's also a BIG Cowboy fan....so we talked shop for quite awhile. She loved hearing every Roger Staubach story I could come up with.

Relationship is key in this industry as it is in any other.

I just have no more energy to write tonight. Know that all is going well. I feel encouraged in so many ways and know that God has put me here at this moment. I miss being home and I sure miss my kiddos. The good thing about being here is that time flies by. I can hardly believe that I've been here 3 days.

As always, thanks for the prayers. I love my dear friends and family that are praying for me. Trust me, I have felt them all!!

2 comments:

Andrea "The H family" said...

I am up at 5am and raced to my computer to find your update! April, it just sounds like your in the right place. It's so interesting to hear the perspectives of the real world out there in reference to bible studies. Makes you wonder how difficult it was been for the other writers that actually made the shelf. Praying you see beyond what you could ever dream or imagine. Much love friend,A

Jessica @ FiveInSix said...

Okay, this is the first time I've been to a computer on my trip, and I just read all of your posts. Sounds like everything is going great! I knew it would. Can I say I'm jealous? :-) Can't wait to hear more when you get back. Love you!