Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mommy Daughter Day

Today, I decided to take the day and really spend it with my daughter. I have been going and blowing so fast and furious, that I have neglected the important things in life and that is slowing down to smell the roses! I read a book over the weekend called The Lies Women Believe and The Truth That Sets Them Free. It was recommended to me by my girlfriend, Jeffie. If you haven't read the book...it's a MUST read!

One of the chapters was centered around life, priorities...moving too fast. And Nancy Leigh DeMoss made an observation. If you were to ask a mom how they were doing, most of them (us) would say that we are exhausted. We are tired. There aren't enough hours in our day to get what we need to get done. Does this sound like you? Well, I know it's me. I feel this way all the time that I never have the time to get done what I need to get done.

BUT...she made a very good, valid point. We actually do have enough hours in our day to get done what we need to get done. How is that possible?? Well, my guess is if you are like me, you are trying to do too much. Her point was that we have enough time in our day to get done what we are CALLED to do...what we are supposed to do...not necessarily what we want to do or what we cram into our day to get done.

Wow...that was very convicting. So, this week, I am working on organizing my life and getting back to the basics. Reid and Cole's school theme this year is Simply and Glorify. That is to simply your life in order to glorify God. Do you think that God is trying to tell me something being as I am seeing this from every angle of my life right now?

So...back to today. I had a ton to do for my photog business and a ton to do around the house and I even was going to call a couple of girlfriends to go to lunch as I hadn't seen them in awhile and I was going to go workout. Really? Weren't you just tired from reading that sentence?

After I dropped the boys off at school, I was driving home and I looked in the rear view mirror at my sweet daughter and thought...that's it. She is all I'm going to do today!

We went home and I got ready for the day and we headed out. We started off by getting a pedicure...ok...so that was for me. BUT she was in hog heaven being with me and sitting in my lap and enjoying the chair massage. We laughed together and seriously had some girl time. Then we headed to lunch together where we shared fruit, sandwiches and part of a cookie! She was telling me stories in her own little way and her eyes were full of excitement the whole time.

Then we came home for her to take a nap before we got the boys from school. During her nap time, I was able to work on some things that I needed to get done...but this time, in peace and without guilt and with a special joy in my heart that I had done the most important thing that day and that was have real one on one time with Ella. No regrets...only special memories to have forever!

Here we are at the nail salon. Can you tell she was having a great time with Mommy??
Below...She is sitting in her own big chair!!
Below...She is enjoying the massage. She loved pushing the buttons and kept saying: "See Mommy, I did it! Here is comes Mommy!!"

Here we are at Celebrity Bakery for lunch. I thought a girly place was in order for our girly day!


2 comments:

Jennings said...

That is such a great idea. We do stuff together like grocery shopping, running all the errands but I need to implement a "girly" day.Thanks for sharing. I love reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you got the book! I have read it twice now - at seperate times and it has rocked certain parts of my heart. So many things I held tightly to that were not of the Lord! Some of the truths still effect little and big decisions I make!