Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Happy 6th Bday Reid!!!

Today my "little" Reid turned 6! I gotta tell you, I'm not sure how this happened. I kept telling him all day today that he was staying 5 and he was not allowed to turn 6. And he kept telling me that he couldn't help it. He couldn't stop growing...but he assured me that he would always be my boy and he would always give me hugs (well, that is, if no one is around to see it!).

Reid's day started off with Daddy taking him to breakfast, then off to school. Then Mommy, Cole, and Ella took him lunch and ate with him at school. We took his classmates jolly rancher candy canes. Reid opted for this over cupcakes (which he doesn't really like) or cookies (which he loves). It's funny. You may think that's weird, but I can't say anything. Ask my mom how many years I would ask for Pumpkin pie as my bday cake! I know it's crazy. I also asked for fruit pizza a couple of times myself. I'm not a big cake person. So, Reid gets 98% of everything from Bry, but I suppose that one quirky thing from me!

After school, Reid's best buddy Justin came home with us. They played for awhile before hitting the fav pizza joint! They had a blast eating and eating and eating and then playing games. And let me just say that those boys are LOUD! While we were still at home, I had to call my girl, Allie, to let her see what she was missing. Reid was BEATING/BANGING on the drums (yes, I know...who in their right mind buys their own kids a real drum set?) and J was on the PIANO. They were the Reid and Justin Rock Band they told me. Holy Cow is all I can say. Allie was sooooo sad that she was missing that fun! ;-) NOT!

Here are a few pics of Reid's day.
So...do you think they were having fun or what? Above is their silly face. Below is their "I'm so cool" face.
Now we have their sweet face.


The match off. Man...2 boys that are really competitive.


I have to add that Reid has been a complete joy in our lives. When Reid first turned 5, we had quite a few challenges with him. We had a huge learning process with him as well. He honestly taught us patience in his own way and he taught me to lean soley on Christ to be a parent. I can't do this thing called motherhood on my own strength or wisdom...because on my own I don't have enough of either. I had to learn to move past myself and my desires and stop all in life to focus on him and his needs.

By mid year, I have to say we hit a turning point with him. He has truly become such a tender hearted, sweet spirited child. I can't even put the words down that would do it justice. He has become Mommy's Boy through and through. He has a little servant's heart just like his Daddy. He has a tender heart that is becoming more evident each and every day. He loves his family more than anything. I have longed and prayed for a closeness in our family, and I am seeing that answered in Reid. He is so genuine and deeply cares about all of us.

One of the things that Reid's teacher said about Reid this year (and his teacher from last year) was that she could tell that he really loved his family and she also said that it was clear that he felt loved by his family. This is a huge compliment to a mother! I know that God has a great plan for this sweet little man. Before I know it, he will be graduating from HS and then from college. I can't wait to see what God has in store for him. I pray that Reid is always tender to God's calling...but even if and when he has to learn a few lessons the hard way, I know that He will prevail in his life in the end and that is the greatest comfort for me as his mother. Reid and I definitely share a special bond these days...one that I pray I will have the wisdom to nurture and turn into something unbreakable.

On this day, I can't be any more thankful for my first born child. He is very special and very well loved. He is a diamond in the rough. He is God's unfinished handiwork. He is fearfully and wonderfully made. He is God's first and foremost and I (along with Bry) are honored and blessed to have the privilege of the responsibility of rearing him in Christ!

Reid, we love you love you love! Happy Birthday! And for goodness sake....quit growing up!

3 comments:

The Waters Family said...

What an amazing growing up fast little guy you have--I should say guys and girl :)--
Looks like a fabulous Bday celebration!!
Happy Birthday Reid! (belated)

Pilates Works 4 Life said...

Glad you had such an great day for your 6th, Reid.
Yes, soon you will look over and he'll be almost 20. Weird stuff, let me tell you. LOL There is something about from 5 to 6, 15 to 16, and 19-20 that hits you.

Shane, Steph, Adeline, Adam said...

Happy Birthday Reid. Adeline didn't even recognize you all grown up!! Miss ya!