Sunday, September 2, 2007

Arrogance

Do you ever get so arrogant that you think you are invincible? I was driving down the road yesterday, on my way home from ordering Cole's jerseys for his soccer team and I was thinking. I know...it's a wonder that I ever have time to think and when I do, I can't believe I can even form the thoughts in my head...however...I had just been talking to a friend of mine about how before I had kids, I never really thought about dying. Meaning, that I didn't worry about it. I knew where I was going when I died and that was that. But since I have had children, I think about it a lot. I actually pray that God won't let me die because I'm pretty sure that I can take care of my kids better than anyone else. Well...at least I will love them like no one else could ever dream of doing.

However, on my way home, I was thinking about how I hadn't really thought about that in awhile and I thought to myself...."Hmmm, I know that God's not done with me yet, so I don't need to think about that anymore. I'm not going anywhere." It was about 30 seconds later (literally), as I was driving down the road, the SUV in front of me slammed on his breaks to a dead stop (pardon the pun). Out of instinct, I just swerved to the other lane without even looking. Thankfully, there wasn't a car there. My heart was pounding so hard and so fast, I could barely breathe. All I could whisper was "Thank You Lord! Thank You Lord! Thank You Lord!" Had I hit that SUV, I am pretty sure my air bag would have deployed.

We all know the verse that says: "Pride comes before the fall." My oh my, how I let my pride get in my way of humbling thanking God that He still has me here on this earth for my husband and my children. My heart was immediately humbled once again as I then thought how I don't know why in the world God would choose me to serve Him. I am as sinful as they come. I am thankful that He sees me as fearfully and wonderfully made. And I am thankful that He is keeping me here not for my children, but for my sake of having the joy of watching them grow each and every day.

1 comment:

Andrea "The H family" said...

Oh honey. You are so right on.
I'll email you!