Saturday, January 26, 2008

Walking for the Kids....


Yes, we look a bit tired. We only had about 3-4 hours of sleep last night!


I know, I know, I haven't blogged in forever. Seems hard to believe that we have started a new year and have zipped through the first month already without even slowing down for a breath. I really thought that it would be a bit slower....I know, I'm delusional. Anyway, I just had to share about our walk this morning for my dear friend Andrea and her son Luke.

As you remember from my past post, we walked to support the MDA (Jerry's Kids) foundation that raises money for research for medicine and cures for children with muscular disorders or challenges.

Bryan and I decided that instead of just me going, we would take our whole family. We thought it would be a great learning experience for our kids. They had never seen a child in a wheel chair until today. We wanted them to know that there are children out there that are different than them, but just as special. And we wanted them to know that the Lord has called us to help those around us.

So, all week long we have been talking with the boys about this event and letting them know what they would be seeing. At first the boys wanted to go through their toys to give them to the kids. Which by the way, was really sweet. They were even willing to give some of their Lightning McQueen cars away (and that my friends, is HUGE!). But we explained that this was not a toy drive, but a fundraiser of money to doctors to help the kids get better. This morning, we were all up bright and early and Reid was very excited to get going. He told us that we needed to be sure to take our silver car as that was the car where he was keeping his money (coins) that he has been collecting. When asked why, he said: "Cause I want to give it to the kids today at the walk Mommy to help them!" I couldn't help but form tears in my eyes as I thought we must have done something right along the way. We did not prompt him at all for this. He did this on his own.

When we arrived at Grapevine Mills Mall, we found our Team Luke table! The boys were greeted with M&Ms, a for sure favorite. You will see below a picture of them handing the money to Andrea, Luke's mom. Such a sweet moment for all of us there.

When the walk started, the boys were excited to walk with Daddy with the children. I just can't tell you how much I think this was an awesome thing for our boys to be a part of. I think it is so important that our children have these experiences in life. If you ever get the opportunity to involve your children in a mission like this, you should do it!

I believe that not only were Bry and I blessed this morning, but I do believe that my children were blessed as well. And the best part is they didn't give their money and then ask for more money for themselves...they just freely gave. I believe that God will bless that sweet giving in them.




This is TEAM LUKE! These are the folks that were able to come and show their support of Luke.


Me and Andrea....



Ella kissing Baby Luke on her button. She saw that we were wearing the buttons and she took my hand and led me to the table, pointed to the buttons and then pointed to her chest. She was telling me she wanted to wear one. When I put it on her, she just kept patting it and then would kiss it. So sweet!



Reid giving his money that he has been saving for Baby Luke's cause!


Cole giving his money for Baby Luke's cause!


These are 2 very precious boys with very big hearts. How can you not just love them to pieces??

We learn so much from our children and today was no different. The innocence of giving and loving someone that you don't know without any judgment unconditionally. It was so neat that I just don't have the words to really express my heart. I pray that my children will always have these sweet, tender hearts for others!

PS...Thanks for Ericka for taking all of the pictures above.

4 comments:

EO said...

Girl you are fast! Great post! Your whole family is just beautiful, we were talking about that afterwards. Thanks for letting me steal pics of your adorable children :)

Mandy said...

April,
Your children's hearts are a direct reflection of what they see in their mom and dad. Such a precious family day celebrating God's goodness and graciousness! Thank you for letting us share it with you through your post.

Love you,
Mandy

Andrea "The H family" said...

Oh honey! Ericka is right...we felt so blessed by your children and BRYAN!!! LOL!!
I'm blogging today..watch for it.
Also.I had to say this. Yesterday, the scripture that came to my heart was "I planted the seed, Apollas watered it and God made it grow".
I pray that the seed you planted in your precious,precious children yesterday...that GOD MAKES it grow way beyond what we could ever imagine that God would do in them.
I say this in the true context:
Your children are in the presence of God. BLESSED.
Love you so much and your support is just so touching to our family.
WE LOVE YOU!

The Waters Family said...

I loved being there with you and your family-- All the excitement of the day and feeling so joyous as we were all ONE in spirit and cause! Reid and Cole were so sweet in their desire to give and beautiful Ella loving her buttons and giving Luke kisses was just so adorable-- The whole event for me was touching as I looked around the Mall at all that were there-- and felt that in some small way we were all able to help and be a part of something that helped so many!