Sunday, March 9, 2008

Trip to Kansas

I thought I would update everyone on our trip to Kansas. We went to Kansas to watch my niece and nephew play in their basketball tournaments. This will be the last year that we will be able to make the trip most likely as Reid will begin Kindergarten next year and will be in school 5 days a week.

It was a very quick trip which was a bit brutal to be honest. Traveling 6-7 hours in the car with 3 kids is trying and tiring. But we went.

On our way, we stopped off to see my girlfriend Robyn and her family. We had our traditional sushi dinner with them (don't tell my mother in law...she thinks we will all die eating sushi!). The next day, Bry took the boys to the first of the tournaments and Rob and I (along with Ella) carried out our tradition of SHOPPING! Rob spoiled me for my birthday. We tend to celebrate the entire month of March. We treated ourselves to a wonderful birthday lunch and had a great time.

Thursday night, while Rob got to go to the Carrie Underwood/Keith Urban concert, I was privileged to go to the basketball games with all 3 kiddos! Ok, so I was a bit jealous that she got to see Carrie. I love Carrie! Seriously, can you believe that her husband Mike didn't give me his ticket? Who cares how much they cost! Where's the man's priorities! ;-)

I want to share a story that happened on Friday at the tournaments. There is a couple that was there who adopt down syndrome children. I think that it is awesome that they have a heart for these sweet children. One of their little boys was not much older than Ella and let me tell you, they had a ball playing together. They chased each other and just giggled. It was precious.

After a little while, Reid came over to me with a bit of a confused look on his face. He said: "Mommy, that little boy keeps looking at me funny. Why is he doing that?" My sweet Reid. It was a great teaching opportunity for me to explain to him about the little boy having DS and that he wasn't looking at him funny. I tried to explain how God made him very special, he was just different. I told Reid that we are called to love everyone we encounter no matter the differences. I wasn't sure if I made any sense to my sweet Reid, but I will tell you after that, Reid ran over and began playing with him and became a bit protective of him as well. My heart melted at the sensitive heart of Reid. He truly has compassion that I know is a God-given gift. Another priceless moment as a mom!

It honestly wasn't that bad with the kids at the games. They played in the bleachers with some toys that my sister in law brought and for the most part was content. At the game on Friday night, Ella played with her new little friend. They were so sweet together.

I was also able to see my cousin Becki. She lives about 30-40 minutes from where we were, so she came up one night and we got to chat like old times! Not that we are getting old, mind you! ;-) I'll just keep telling myself that!!!

I know photography group...no picture! I didn't even take the camera. Who would have thought that I could have taken any pictures at a game while trying to contain 3 children? And truly, I wouldn't have been able to. Bad...Bad...Bad...I know!

No comments: