Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The fear of gum....

Yes, you read that correctly....the fear of GUM! And I do mean chewing gum. You know? The kind that you put in your mouth and simply enjoy the act of chewing it...whether to help with bad breath or to curb your appetite. That's the gum.

My sweet daughter is a total tom-boy with a Princess girly side to her. She will climb any slide and go down it. She will climb the bunk beds; she will roll in mud; she will play in water; she is not afraid of anything...well, until it comes to GUM! Yelp, that's right. She is mortified of it. If you are chewing gum in front of her she will close her eyes like in the picture below. If you go so far as to pop a bubble, she will cry as in the last picture below.

Ella and her brothers love to go to the gym with me. She NEVER cries there. And they LOVE her. One day, I went to pick her up and she was crying. I couldn't believe it. I asked what was wrong...assuming she fell. The ladies were laughing. They said: "I think she's afraid of gum?!" The guy across the room popped a bubble and she freaked out! I laughed and said: "Yes, that's my daughter." I know you've never heard of this? Crazy.

It's so bad that when I photographed the wedding the other week, I had a lady come up to me and ask me where my kids were in swim lessons. We go on the same day. She says to me: "I remember you because you are the one that has the daughter that is afraid of gum, right?" Yelp, that would be me! ;-) Oh me oh my.

So, if any of you know of a cure for this, please let me know.


3 comments:

jen armstrong said...

so fun to get to know those babies...where in the world do they come up with these things??

EO said...

Oh my gosh April! That is both precious and so sad!

Pilates Works 4 Life said...

oh my. I hope I didn't start that. She's a sweetheart for sure. She is so very much like you were. Well, minus the gum part. But I do remember you did not like loud noises. You would freak when a motorcyle would start up. hummmm.
love ya, mom