Thursday, May 17, 2007

Jerry Falwell

I'm a few days late in writing this, but thought that I would let you all know that amidst the tragedies we have seen in Greensburg, Kansas the past couple of weeks, my family is experiencing yet another one.

Jerry Falwell, a well-known pastor and evangelist and founder of Liberty University, passed away unexpectedly Tuesday, May 15th while sitting in his office at Liberty. The reason that this is significant to my family is that Jerry was a long time friend of my Grandfather (my mom's dad) and to my Grandmother today. My Grandfather, Everett Whisnant, was very involved with helping Jerry Falwell begin his ministry many years ago. Though my Grandfather passed away when my mother was 9, Jerry and his wife Macel have always kept my Grandmother very near and dear to their hearts.

Just last month for my Grandma's 85th birthday, they took her to a nice lunch, had a cake for her. Grandma was in VA with my mom and brother visiting Liberty as that is where my brother is wanting to go. He is wanting to go into their Aviation program. That aside, when they contact Jerry and Macel to let them know they were going to be in town, they helped celebrate Grandma's birthday in style. They were just thrilled that Stephen was interested in the school and they had a great time talking of times past.

So, when he passed away on Tuesday, it took my family by storm a little bit. And not to mention, he passed away on my Mom's 50th birthday. They will all be traveling to VA for the funeral this weekend. Please keep them in your prayers.

No comments: